Private Community Discussion Forums & Sharing

Find answers, ask questions, and connect with your community around the world.
Share the knowledge. Help one another. Always remembering golden rule of Love thy Neighbor.

Homepage Private Community Forums Minimising Tax Tax return Reply To: Tax return

• kate

January 25, 2023 at 3:32 pm

Hi all,

I filed the tax return online 2020 and received back all of the tax paid $27 808.96.

The following year I attempted the same process. This time I received correspondence on the 21<sup>st</sup> January 2022 that requested “more information about your 2020 and 2021 tax returns”. I copied the letter titled ‘more information about your 2020 and 2021 tax returns” and sent it back along with an affidavit of expense and declaration in the form of an affidavit via registered post.

The next correspondence I received dated 9<sup>th</sup> March 2022 was “We have finished our audit on your 2020- and 2021-income tax returns”. They applied an administrative penalty to the 2020- and 2021-income years due to my being “reckless”. For 2020 they applied an administrative penalty of $13 904.45 plus the amount they gave me back $27 808.96 and 2021 $13 215.70 – totalling about 56K.

I immediately sent 4 notices to the woman who was the officer on my audit dated 20<sup>th</sup> April 2022, 27 April 2022, 4<sup>th</sup> May 2022 and 11<sup>th</sup> May 2022.

I received a phone message 16<sup>th</sup> May 2022 from a Kirsty C wanting to “discuss my tax obligations”

The next day on the 17/05/2022 In response to the message left I sent a notice of conditional acceptance and no consent re: subject matter jurisdiction. I also sent 2 further Notices on the 27<sup>th</sup> May 2022 and 03/06/2022. The 3<sup>rd</sup> Notice had an invoice (first invoice) for the amount of $27 860.54.

I received no response or correspondence to any of the above notices.

In the meantime, I was not aware that they already just went right ahead and issued a statement on the 15 March 2022 in Mygov for the total amount of $56 051.89. This included the amount I got back plus the 2 lots of 13K in penalties for being “reckless”

So, I printed the Mygov statement and on the 15<sup>th</sup> June 2022 did an A4V on the statement with a Notice of tender of payment via registered post. The tax office responded by leaving messages on my mobile despite me advising that they need to contact me only by the address provided.

So I sent a further 2 Notices to the man and woman that left the messages to follow up with the first three I sent – A Notice of demand for further and better particulars and opportunity to cure with 2<sup>nd</sup> invoice and a notice of demand for further and better particulars and notice of default opportunity to cure with a final invoice.

I have not logged on to MYgov for a number of months, in fact I want to remove it but it’s handy to see what they are up to. Last time I looked they added more fees for the alleged non-payment of 56K– even though I did an A4V.

That’s where I was up to last year in about June. To be honest I have left this on the back burner until now as I was dealing with the Toyota matter. They have still not responded to any of the correspondence that I sent.

Now the ATO has changed tactics – So now, Jan 2023 I received correspondence “we noticed you have not done your tax return” …… and just today I think I just received another one the same in the mail – I have not opened yet as I am not sure how I want to proceed.

I thought I’d give you all this run down so that you might have an idea of what to expect and the way they have taken to dealing with us.

Kate